As a homeschooling parent in NC, we have our own choices for curriculum and before this year, things were easy. With my eldest, I knew without a doubt that we wanted to follow Charlotte Mason theories in teaching her. At least in an eclectic sort of way as we wanted to increase some of the math and science (things my daughter loves) and for the last three years we have done that.
As we begin to formally teach the middle daughter I realize that some of the subjects using Charlotte Mason will be harder with her learning style and I would rather not set us both up to fail from the get go. My preschooler has a similar learning style, so I have decided to combine Charlotte Mason and Montessori theories to teach the younger two girls. In some ways I have gone back to square one (on my end) with them and I hope that things go well for us this year.
I believe that this will be my toughest year as a teacher and mother. Until now we have only had one daughter that we formally taught while providing the younger two with many educational opportunities as they were ready for them. This year, the preschooler has insisted that she have "real" school work and I hope the choices I have made for her school "work" fulfills her dream of school.
Wish us luck and feel free to come along for the "ride". We will be posting pics of field trips, fun learning activities and whatever else we can think of. Hopefully during all the fun, I will remember to snap some great pics.
For outside activities, the girls will be continuing with Awana, Sunday school and gymnastics. In addition, R will be continuing with youth musical choirs at church in both singing and tone chimes. Brownies has been a success for my eldest so I believe she will stay with that and E is considering becoming a Daisy. Think of all those cookies they will be selling. Adding speech therapy for the younger two, we will have quite a full schedule again this year. I'm thinking maybe I will need a personal assistant to keep tabs on us.
The count down has begun...school officially starts July 11th.
No comments:
Post a Comment